Don't be shy - leave a comment!
Whatever you have to say, it's nice to hear from visitors to my blog.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

To the Lake District

Ambleside is a town I have very fond memories of. When I was climbing seriously it was the first place we thought of at the beginning of the season. Weather was always more reliable at Easter, so the holiday was spent in Langdale, climbing the crags and spending the evenings in the Old Dungeon Ghyll pub! After Easter, our weekends were spent hitch-hiking north to the bigger and better cliffs in Glencoe, Ben Nevis and Skye. Wonderful days!

So on our way north from Essex, I pleaded my case for overnighting in Ambleside. Of course there are plenty hotels, it's Ambleside for goodness sake! The same story repeating itself, but in a different town! Yes, there are loads of hotels and B&B's there, but when you arrive at 7:00 p.m, most of them are already full and pulling down the "Vacancies" signs. When you enter Ambleside from the south you pass a very impressive hotel overlooking the lake and if you drive past searching out cheaper alternatives, something in your head says, "you'll have to go back and pay the price tonight". Well, the little voice was right, yet again. BUT, we did have 2 nights of luxury and beautiful food, so it was worth it in two senses. Also it was pouring with rain all the time we were there, so having the space to spread out a bit and a huge hot bath to come back to helped salve our conscience about costs. That's why there are no photographs in this section, I didn't want to get my camera soaked!

Visits to the outdoor shops provided me with the lightweight camping gear I was looking for to use next spring when I tackle the Corfu Trail, 230 kms walk along the length of the island. I was happy. Barbara found a good hairdresser, so she as happy too!

Short but sweet, but they did provide fast free internet access in the room.

On to Glasgow.......

No comments:

Post a Comment